Aquatic Weed Control

Aquatic Weed Control

Blanket weed, duck weed, submerged weed, water lilies, reeds are just a few of the things our fully trained & insured staff can control by either biological, chemical, mechanical or manual methods.

Our staff hold the following City & Guilds NPTC certificates PA1, 5 & 6 (all units) which allows them to apply herbicide on land and in/near any water body including from a boat across the U.K.

Once a site survey has been carried out to identify the nuisance vegetation, the correct method of treatment will be recommended along with any other ideas about preventing any future re occurrence of the weed.

We have over 30 years experience in treating aquatic weeds like blanket weed, duck weed, water lilies, submerged weed and reeds. Most of the products that we use are not available to the general public.

Please read the below to clarify who can and cannot use herbicide in a professonal manor!

Amateur use of pesticides Under the Control of Pesticides Regulations 1986 and 1997 (as amended) it is an offence for a ‘professional use only’ pesticide to be used by someone who is not a professional user. The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) defines a professional user as someone who is trained and competent to carry out the work they are called on to do and uses the product as part of their work.

The legal bit: The law states that anyone who uses or applies pesticides in Agriculture, Horticulture, Forestry, Industry or Amenity workplaces must possess a valid Pesticide Certificate in order to comply with regulations. This legislation isn't optional and it applies to volunteers, employed and self-employed people alike. 

All users of biocides must be trained and competent for the tasks they are required to perform. There is no requirement for a user of biocides (or non-agricultural pesticides as they are referred to under COPR) to have gained a 'certificate of competence'.

However, the law says that if a person is using a biocide in the course of their business then they must have received appropriate information, instruction and training in the use of biocides.

The type of training required/received would cover issues such as the legislation, the correct use of biocides and how to carry out a risk assessment under the Control of Substance Hazardous to Health Regulations (COSHH). Those using biocides have a duty to properly assess a situation before they use a biocide, and consider the options for treatment and the potential risks involved, to ensure that a product is used in a way that reduces any risks from its use.

All users (except home gardeners) are required to ensure that they are competent in their duties and have received adequate instruction in the safe, efficient and humane use of pesticides; certificates of competence are also required by some specified users,that is, all users applying pesticides to either land or water which is not their property or that of their employers; and all users born after 31 December 1964, unless they are under direct supervision (that is, within eyesight and voice contact) of a certificate holder.

Grandfather Rights There is no longer an exemption in UK law, commonly known as "grandfather rights”. The Plant Protection Products (Sustainable Use) Regulations 2012 exemption ceased to exist from 27th November 2015. Everyone who now uses PPPs authorised for professional use must hold a Certificate of Competence.